Senior E-Commerce Developer
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a software developer to lead our e-commerce platform team in the design and implementation of our subscription management and billing systems. We’re the world’s #1 provider of flight tracking applications, services, and data to the aviation industry, and we aim to provide a first-in-class purchasing and account management experience for our customers. This work serves a vital role at FlightAware in support of our finance, sales, and account management teams.
- Work with business domain experts in finance and sales to deliver high-quality integrations and solutions, as well as testing and monitoring to ensure we deliver a first-in-class system.
- Engage in hands-on development of web-based applications in a public facing, global e-commerce environment. This includes integrations with external systems and third parties such as CMS, CRM, ERP and payment processors. Involvement spans all aspects of frontend and backend development, from implementing user interfaces to integrating code with backend systems.
- Lead technical design and implementation of features.
- Define and write regression and integration tests.
- Design and implement online credit card billing and subscription services.
- Design underlying database schema, interface, and plan for capacity.
- Work on migrating legacy systems to new platforms.
- Relentlessly simplify and distill complex processes into intuitive and elegant experiences.
- Evaluate and adopt technologies which improve the team efficiency and platform capabilities.
- 5+ years hands-on experience working with and/or integrating to systems such as ERP, CRM, and payment processors. Expert in developing e-commerce websites for paid & subscription based membership. Experience in building billing payment systems, focusing on reliability and security.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or software engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with PostgresSQL, MySQL, or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Web Services (SOAP and REST)
- Familiarity with Unix and scripting languages.
- Proven track record in design/architecture of large components.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Clear and effective technical documentation skills.
- Able to think on your feet and adapt well to a quickly changing environment, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
This person is naturally curious, exploring new technologies in order to stay current, but balances the use of new and old to ensure that execution is priority. Professionally, this person is driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear.
A pilot, or individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
To apply and provide a small demonstration of your technical prowess, send your application to:
by setting the content of the
data variable to valid JSON with the following properties:
name: String with your name (required)
email: String with your email address (required)
position: String with the position you are applying for (required)
urls: Array of strings with links to your resume (required), along with any personal sites, sample projects, or your Github profile
comment: String with any comment/request you might have (optional)
You will receive a 200 response on success.